News
Student loan applicants hit one million – NELFUND
The Nigerian Education Loan Fund has announced that applications for the student loan scheme have surpassed one million, marking one of the largest uptakes for a government-backed social intervention since the beginning of the Tinubu administration.
In a statement on Sunday, the Director of Strategic Communications, Nigerian Education Loan Fund, Oseyemi Oluwatuyi, said the milestone was achieved less than a year after the programme was launched on May 24, 2024.
He described it as evidence that the scheme is gaining strong national traction and public trust.
According to the agency, over N116bn has so far been disbursed to students across universities, polytechnics, and colleges of education in Nigeria, covering both institutional charges and upkeep allowances.
The Managing Director of NELFUND, Akintunde Sawyerr, said the milestone reflects the success of President Bola Tinubu’s Renewed Hope agenda in expanding access to higher education.
“Crossing the one-million mark represents more than data; it symbolises renewed hope for a generation of Nigerians determined to rise above financial barriers to education,” Sawyerr said. “It is a testament to visionary leadership, sound policy design, and the collective effort of all stakeholders driving this transformative agenda.”
NELFUND reiterated its commitment to continuous improvement in service delivery, ensuring that “every qualified Nigerian student, regardless of background or location, can access education funding with transparency, efficiency, and dignity.”
The agency emphasised that the student loan programme is non-discriminatory, benefiting Nigerians across religious and ethnic backgrounds, and helping to promote unity through equal learning opportunities.
“NELFUND remains focused on ensuring that no Nigerian is denied the opportunity to learn, grow, or contribute to national progress because of financial limitations,” the statement added.
-
Business17 hours agoCustomers stranded as new airtime rule disrupts bank transfers
-
Politics17 hours agoADC accuses ICPC of blocking leaders from seeing El-Rufai
-
News17 hours agoOyo schools kidnap: Terrorists open talks, give condition
-
World News17 hours agoUS directs green card applicants to apply from home countries
-
Sports17 hours agoOsimhen not for sale — Gala president
-
Politics17 hours agoI Remain In High Spirits, Will Complete Ongoing Projects In Rivers – Fubara
-
Politics17 hours agoResignation gamble backfires for ex-ministers Adelabu, Tuggar, Alkali
-
News17 hours agoNgoshe: 2 Months After, Families Await Rescue Of Abductees
