News
Nnamdi Kanu Finally Agrees to Meet Legal Team Ahead of Terrorism Trial
The detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, has agreed to meet with his lawyers before continuing his defence in the terrorism case brought against him by the Federal Government.
This decision came on Wednesday during his appearance at the Federal High Court in Abuja before Justice James Omotosho.
The judge had advised Kanu to seek proper legal guidance after he again claimed that the charges against him were not valid under Nigerian law.
Kanu, who had previously refused to proceed with his defence, later told the court that he would consult with his legal advisers.
He named his team as Nnaemeka Ejiofor, Aloy Ejimakor, Maxwell Okpara, and Mandela Umegborogu.
Justice Omotosho granted an adjournment till November 7, 2025, giving Kanu more time to prepare. This will be the fourth time the court has postponed proceedings to allow him to either open his defence or formally decline.
The judge stressed the importance of a fair trial and said the court would “bend backward” once more in the interest of justice.
Kanu had in October dismissed his former legal team led by ex-Attorney General of the Federation, Kanu Agabi (SAN).
He had also said he would defend himself and listed 23 people he planned to call as witnesses, including Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and FCT Minister Nyesom Wike.
However, the IPOB leader later changed his mind, saying there was no need to defend himself since “the charges against me are unknown to any valid law.”
On Wednesday, he maintained that position, insisting that “The Terrorism Prevention and Prohibition Act has been repealed. I cannot put up a defence under a repealed law.”
Led by Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), the prosecution reminded the court that it had already closed its case on June 19, 2025, after presenting five witnesses.
The court had earlier ruled that a prima facie case had been established against Kanu, but the defendant has since delayed opening his defence, citing lack of access to key documents.
The judge again advised him to work closely with lawyers experienced in criminal matters before the next hearing.
Recall that in September, the court held that the Federal Government had presented enough evidence to proceed with trial, after which Kanu began representing himself before later reversing that decision.
-
News17 hours agoNigerian Army promotes 105 senior officers in major leadership shake-up
-
News17 hours agoPrimate Ayodele Names Five Powerful People Behind Terrorism in Nigeria
-
News17 hours agoTinubu Approves National Tax Policy Implementation Committee
-
News17 hours agoObasanjo Breaks Silence, Accuses Tinubu Govt of Failure, Urges Foreign Powers to Step In
-
News16 hours agoWike revokes Abuja lands belonging to Patience Jonathan, Fayose, Iyabo Obasanjo, T.Y. Danjuma, Emir of Ilorin, others
-
News17 hours agoKano Govt Seeks Ganduje’s Arrest Over Move To Establish Security Outfit
-
Metro17 hours agoBurna Boy faces fan fury, pulls plug on US tour
-
News17 hours agoDSS Summons Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed over ‘Inciting’ Comments about Tinubu
