World News
Death toll from Gaza war surpasses 70,000
The health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza on Saturday said more than 70,000 people have been killed since the war between Israel and Hamas erupted more than two years ago.
The milestone comes as a fragile US-brokered ceasefire largely holds, but with both sides accusing the other of violating the terms of the deal.
In a statement, Gaza’s health ministry said the death toll from the war had risen to 70,100.
The ministry said that since the ceasefire came into effect on October 10, 354 Palestinians had been killed by Israeli fire.
Two bodies arrived at hospitals in the Gaza Strip in the past 48 hours, the ministry said, one of which had been recovered from beneath the rubble.
It noted that the spike from the last death toll was due to the fact that the data relating to 299 bodies had been processed and approved by the authorities.
Despite the ceasefire, the Palestinian territory remains in a deep humanitarian crisis.
The Gaza war was sparked by Hamas’s October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, which resulted in the deaths of 1,221 people.
On that day, militants abducted 251 people into Gaza.
At the start of the latest ceasefire, militants were holding 20 living hostages and 28 bodies of deceased captives.
In exchange, Israel has released nearly 2,000 Palestinian prisoners in its custody and returned the bodies of hundreds of dead Palestinians.
-
News19 hours agoPrimate Ayodele Names Five Powerful People Behind Terrorism in Nigeria
-
News19 hours agoTinubu Approves National Tax Policy Implementation Committee
-
News19 hours agoNigerian Army promotes 105 senior officers in major leadership shake-up
-
News19 hours agoObasanjo Breaks Silence, Accuses Tinubu Govt of Failure, Urges Foreign Powers to Step In
-
News19 hours agoWike revokes Abuja lands belonging to Patience Jonathan, Fayose, Iyabo Obasanjo, T.Y. Danjuma, Emir of Ilorin, others
-
News19 hours agoKano Govt Seeks Ganduje’s Arrest Over Move To Establish Security Outfit
-
Metro19 hours agoBurna Boy faces fan fury, pulls plug on US tour
-
News19 hours agoDSS Summons Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed over ‘Inciting’ Comments about Tinubu
