News
Akpabio Urges Tinubu To Review Police Withdrawal From VIPs
Senate President Godswill Akpabio has appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to reconsider the recent directive ordering the withdrawal of police personnel attached to VIPs, warning that the decision could expose lawmakers to security risks.
President Tinubu had instructed the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, to withdraw police officers from non-essential duties, including escorts assigned to VIPs.
However, speaking at the end of his welcome address during the President’s visit to the National Assembly to present the 2026 budget on Friday, Akpabio raised concerns about the implications of the move for legislators.
He said several members of the National Assembly feared they might be unable to return to their constituencies without adequate security protection.
“As we direct the security agencies to withdraw policemen from critical areas, some members of the National Assembly said I should let you know that they may not be able to go home today,” Akpabio said.
“They could be exposed to danger. On that note, we plead with you, Mr President, to kindly review the decision.”
Earlier in his remarks, the Senate President acknowledged that insecurity continues to test Nigeria’s collective resolve, noting that many communities across the country remain burdened by violence and criminal activities.
He stressed that Nigeria’s strength lies in unity and cooperation among institutions of government.
Akpabio drew lessons from history, arguing that nations make progress when the executive and legislature work together in the national interest, but stagnate when rivalry replaces cooperation.
He said the National Assembly remained committed to partnering with the executive to strengthen security frameworks and ensure the safety of Nigerians.
The appeal came amid renewed debate over the balance between curbing the misuse of police personnel and ensuring adequate protection for public officials in a challenging security environment.
-
Politics17 hours ago‘Adeleke isn’t Fubara’ — Dele Momodu faults Wike’s claim he could have helped Tinubu win Osun
-
Sports16 hours agoBayern’s Musiala suffers another collapse in three days
-
Opinion17 hours agoTinubu, terminate the dodgy £746m ports deal
-
News16 hours agoTroops repel terrorists attack, rescue 14 kidnapped victims in Katsina
-
News16 hours agoFAAC: FG, states, LGs share N3 trn
-
Business14 hours agoAfrica’s biggest bank targets stake in OPay ahead of IPO – Report
-
Politics16 hours ago2027: SDP’s Adebayo faults Tinubu’s absence at National Peace Accord
-
Politics19 hours ago‘Abuja Politicians’ Made APC Lose Osun – Gov Sule
