Connect with us

Politics

Why I withdrew from APC Reps race – Cubana Chief Priest

Published

on

Popular businessman Pascal Okechukwu, known as Cubana Chief Priest, has denied taking part in the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for the Orsu/Orlu/Oru East Federal Constituency seat in Imo State, insisting he withdrew from the race before the exercise was held.

Okechukwu made the clarification in a series of Instagram posts on Sunday, distancing himself from reports suggesting he contested and lost the primary to incumbent lawmaker Canice Nwachukwu.

His latest explanation appears to differ from an earlier video in which he expressed disappointment over the outcome, saying his only regret was “trusting the elders in the community” after reportedly securing just 14 votes.

The businessman said he stepped down after consultations with Hope Uzodimma, who explained the APC’s zoning arrangement for the constituency.

According to him, the governor maintained that Orlu Local Government Area should complete at least two terms in office before the seat rotates to another council area.

“He made the argument that it was not the turn of my Local Government Area to occupy the seat at this time, especially considering that my elder brother, Asiwaju Jerry Alagboso, had previously served three terms in the House,” Okechukwu wrote.

He said his decision to seek office was motivated by concerns about representation in the constituency.

“My decision and resolve to aspire for the office was born out of my conviction that the current holder of the office was not living up to the expectations and aspirations of our people,” he stated.

Okechukwu maintained that once the party adopted the zoning arrangement, he immediately abandoned the race and did not participate in the primary.

“In respect for the party and its leadership, I chose not to proceed to the field, and indeed, I never did. Nobody will say they saw me anywhere around the primaries venue. In fact I did not participate. As I headed straight back to Lagos,” he wrote.

He added that the party’s position was communicated to him in the early hours of Saturday before the primary, prompting him to stay away completely.

The socialite also dismissed online narratives surrounding the matter, describing them as attempts to stir controversy.

“It is laughable that some misguided elements are attempting to use my name for unnecessary trending and online propaganda,” he said.

Reacting to claims that he owed supporters financially following the failed ambition, Okechukwu denied any such obligation.

“I am not indebted to anybody over my aspiration. The aspiration was entirely mine, driven by my personal conviction and desire to serve,” he said.

Despite the setback, he reiterated his loyalty to the All Progressives Congress and pledged continued support for President Bola Tinubu ahead of the 2027 elections through his City Boy Movement initiative.

“The APC remains my party, today and always. I remain loyal and committed to the ideals and leadership of our great party,” he added.

Trending