Connect with us

Sports

EFCC, ICPC Probe N12Billion Nigerian Govt Fund Released To NFF For Players’ Wages, Bonuses

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) are investigating the utilisation of a N12 billion Federal Government intervention fund released to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for players’ wages and bonuses.

The disclosure was contained in a letter signed by Onoja Joshua, Esq., on behalf of the General Secretary of the NFF, in response to a request for the disclosure of financial records and utilisation logs relating to the fund.

The letter, dated August 18, 2026, was addressed to the Principal Partner of Cromwell & Okeke, following a correspondence dated August 7, 2026, but received by the NFF on August 11.

A copy of the letter written by the NFF in response to the enquiries was obtained by SaharaReporters.

The request, made under the Freedom of Information Act, sought access to financial records and other documents concerning the N12 billion Federal Government intervention fund reportedly released to the NFF for players’ wages and bonuses.

However, the football federation said it could not release the requested records because the matter was already under investigation by the two anti-corruption agencies.

In the letter with reference number NFF/LEG/10/1/879 and titled, “Re: Application for disclosure of financial records and utilisation logs regarding the N12 billion Federal Government Intervention Fund released for players’ wages and bonuses,” the NFF said all documents relating to the request were with the EFCC and ICPC.

“I am directed to refer to the above subject matter and your correspondence dated 7th August, 2026 but received on 11th August, 2026,” the letter stated.

“It is my instruction to inform you that the subject matter of the request under the Freedom of Information Act are subject of investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).”

Leo

The NFF further stated: “Therefore, all documents relating to the request are before Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).”

The disclosure raises fresh questions over the management and utilisation of the N12 billion intervention fund, particularly as the money was specifically intended to address players’ wages and bonuses.

The NFF did not disclose in the letter the specific aspects of the fund’s utilisation that prompted the investigations, nor did it provide details of the allegations or transactions being examined by the EFCC and ICPC.

It also did not state when the investigations commenced, the individuals or officials whose activities may be under scrutiny, or whether any suspects had been invited or questioned by either of the anti-corruption agencies.

The development also places the management of the intervention fund under the scrutiny of Nigeria’s two major anti-corruption agencies.

The EFCC is empowered to investigate financial crimes, while the ICPC is mandated to investigate and prosecute corruption-related offences and promote measures against corrupt practices in public institutions.

The probes come amid persistent public concerns over the financing and administration of Nigerian football, particularly the management of public funds allocated to support national teams and players.

Sources told SaharaReporters that the NFF said it spent a major part of the N12 billion on resolving hotel accommodation expenses for players at different levels of government.

In January 2024, it was reported that President Bola Tinubu had cleared the outstanding payments owed by the Federal Government to the Super Eagles and other national sporting teams.

According to a statement on the X handle of Tinubu’s Media Centre, the payment covered 15 months of outstanding salaries owed to the senior national team’s coaches, as well as allowances and other payments due to the senior men’s, women’s, and Under-20 national teams.

“President @officialABAT has approved the payment of N12 billion outstanding backlog for Nigeria’s National teams of various sports, which includes Super Eagles and others,” the statement read.

“The payment entails the clearing of the senior national team coach salaries running up to 15 months, payments of allowances and promises due to the senior national teams, females, and Under-20 national team.”

On Tuesday, it was widely reported that the Ibrahim Musa Gusau-led board of NFF had written to world football governing body FIFA to stop plans by the Nigerian government to sack them.

According to OwnGoalNigeria.com, the Nigerian government gave the National Sports Commission (NSC) the go-ahead to set up an interim committee to manage Nigerian football and halt the planned NFF election.

The decision was reportedly reached after the women’s team failed, for the first time in history, to qualify for the Women’s World Cup.(SaharaReporters)

Trending