News
Sanwo-Olu Orders Demolition Of 25-Storey GNI House After Inferno
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State has ordered the demolition of the 25-storey Great Nigeria Insurance (GNI) House on Lagos Island once the raging fire at the building is fully extinguished.
The governor gave the directive on Thursday while inspecting the scene of the inferno at Martins Street, Lagos Island.
Sanwo-Olu disclosed that a committee headed by the Commissioner for Special Duties and Intergovernmental Relations, Gbenga Oyerinde, had been constituted to determine the safest and quickest method of bringing down the structure within a few days.
According to the governor, preliminary investigations revealed that the building, which was originally designed for office use, had been converted into a warehouse, with several floors used for the storage of highly combustible materials.
He said the fire reportedly started from the fourth and fifth floors before spreading rapidly to the upper levels late on Wednesday night.
“This building has had fire incidents in the past. Unfortunately, it was being used as a warehouse, with inflammable materials stored across multiple floors, which made firefighting extremely difficult,” Sanwo-Olu said, according to The Nation.
He explained that although first responders arrived early and deployed aerial ladder equipment, the intensity of the fire escalated around 8pm due to the nature of materials stored inside the building.
The governor confirmed that no fatalities had been recorded, adding that between seven and 10 people sustained injuries and were conveyed to hospitals by ambulances operated by the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA).
He also noted that parts of the structure had already suffered partial collapse, making demolition inevitable once the fire is completely subdued.
Sanwo-Olu renewed calls for heightened fire safety awareness during the dry season, particularly between December and February, when harmattan conditions heighten fire risks.
“People must stop storing highly inflammable materials in residential and office buildings, especially in densely populated market areas. We will intensify advocacy and enforcement to prevent a repeat of this,” he said.
Meanwhile, the operational commander of the Federal Fire Service in Lagos, Musa Emmanuel, said firefighters were still battling the blaze, noting that the close proximity of surrounding buildings and the unknown contents of the affected structures had complicated suppression efforts.
According to him, no injuries or loss of life had been recorded so far, adding that the cause of the fire would only be determined after the site is secured.
More than 10 buildings were affected by the fire, with at least two severely damaged and several others partially impacted.
Emergency responders from the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Nigeria Police Force (NPF), Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Federal Fire Service and the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) are currently on ground managing the incident.
-
News14 hours agoFG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide in Nigeria
-
News14 hours agoBREAKING: Davido was target of Osun convoy attack – Police
-
News14 hours agoTinubu Asks Homeland Security Adviser To Coordinate 5-Year Defence Plan
-
Business14 hours agoAfreximbank now largest financier of Africa’s oil, gas sector, says Wale Tinubu
-
News16 hours agoTinubu Appoints Abel Enitan As Head Of Service
-
Politics21 hours agoIf FG Wanted Osun, Nothing Could Have Stopped It – Fayose
-
News21 hours agoLagos, Ogun declare Thursday public holiday to celebrate Isese festival
-
World News17 hours agoUK asylum seekers can stay with friends, family — Home Office
