Politics
How disagreement over fresh budget re-ignited Wike/Fubara hostilities – Report
A disagreement over a supplementary budget proposed by associates of Nyesom Wike, minister of the federal capital territory (FCT), and Siminalayi Fubara, governor of Rivers state, is behind the latest face-off, TheCable understands.
Sources familiar with the development said the rift rekindled after Wike pushed for a supplementary appropriation through state lawmakers loyal to him, but Fubara rejected the proposal, arguing that the budget passed by the national assembly during emergency rule was sufficient for the rest of 2025.
In June, the national assembly passed the sum of N1.48 trillion appropriation for Rivers state.
President Bola Tinubu proposed the 2025 Rivers budget in May after appointing Ibok-Ete Ibas as the administrator of the state following the declaration of emergency rule and suspension of Fubara.
Fubara had said on December 17 that there was over N300 billion in the state government account when he was suspended, but he met N600 billion upon return.
‘WAR DECLARATION’ MEETING IN PORT HARCOURT
Insiders informed TheCable that following Fubara’s rejection of the supplementary budget proposal, Wike summoned key political allies, including members of the state assembly, to the residence of Ferdinand Anabraba, Rivers’ preeminent political elder, in Port Harcourt.
Multiple sources said Wike declared he was ready for a whole political confrontation with Fubara.
“Wike told them plainly that he was declaring fresh war on Fubara,” a source who attended the meeting told TheCable.
In early December, Rivers house of assembly, through Martin Amaewhule, speaker of the assembly, accused Fubara of unapproved spending and awarding contracts to his cronies.
APC ALIGNMENT AND TINUBU FACTOR
According to sources, Fubara, sensing an imminent political showdown with Wike, began aligning with the All Progressives Congress (APC) — a move approved by Tinubu.
APC governors also embraced Fubara, partly because of lingering tensions among them and Wike.
“The thinking was that bringing Fubara fully into the APC would weaken Wike’s leverage,” an insider said.
Fubara officially moved from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the APC on December 9.
The Rivers’ governor had been made to promise that he would not run for a second term, but it appears he would now do so in his new party.
FAILED PEACE TERMS
A source said part of the peace terms proposed by Wike before the suspension of the emergency rule in Rivers included a demand that Fubara reinstate Sergeant Awuse, the traditional ruler of the Emohua kingdom, as the chair of the state’s traditional rulers’ council
Fubara had sacked Awuse, a strong ally of Wike, in June 2024 and appointed Chike Worlu Wodo in his stead.
Wike also demanded the appointment of new commissioner appointments — requests Fubara failed to implement.
“Fubara felt those conditions would completely undermine his authority as governor. That was the final straw,” a source said.
TheCable understands that unmet demands collapsed the fragile peace arrangement and reopened hostilities between Wike and Fubara.
Wike began launching attacks openly on Fubara after the governor defected to the APC.
On Tuesday, Wike said the leadership mistake in Rivers will be corrected in 2027 and promised to reveal the details of the peace agreement that returned Fubara to power.
The FCT minister, in a veiled reference to Fubara, said leaders are meant to serve the people’s will rather than pursue personal interests.
“We will not make the same mistake again at the state level in 2027, but we will talk about it later when the time comes,” Wike said.
A protracted political crisis between Fubara and the Rivers assembly members, backed by Wike, led to the declaration of a state of emergency in Rivers last year.(The Cable)
-
News23 hours agoFG unveils loan for Nigerians to build or buy houses – How to apply
-
Politics23 hours agoOsun Election: Bamidele urges Oyebamiji to congratulate Adeleke, offer policy ideas
-
Metro23 hours agoTupac Shakur’s accused killer was out for ‘revenge’, jury hears
-
News15 hours agoInsecurity: 31 states spend N252bn on security in six months
-
Politics23 hours agoUK commends Osun election, urges Nigeria to apply lessons to 2027 poll
-
Politics14 hours agoOsun poll raises 2027 questions as APC reviews defeat, observers flag flaws
-
Politics22 hours agoANALYSIS: How Large Voter Turnout Diluted Vote Buying In Osun
-
Business15 hours agoNigerian tycoon Wale Tinubu is drilling 62 wells to more than double Oando’s output
