Sports
BREAKING: Osimhen leaves Super Eagles camp
Galatasaray top striker, Victor Osimhen, has left the camp of the Super Eagles camp in Morocco ahead of the third place match against Egypt at the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) on Saturday.
In the match played on Wednesday, the Atlas Lions defeated the Super Eagles of Nigeria 4-2 in a penalty shootout after the match did not produce a single goal in regulation and extra times.
He was replaced towards the end of the match in which he served as stand-in captain following the one match suspension of Wilfred Ndidi.
The Eagle Online is reporting that it has become a standard procedure for clubs to treat their injured players who are on assignments for their countries.
A camp source said: “Since he is injured, and won’t definitely feature in the third place match, he decided to return early to treat the injury.
“And that is a standard procedure.
“Clubs prefer to treat their injured players on national assignments.
“The belief is that their doctors know the players better.”
Also, a source said that Coach Eric Chelle is not likely to feature his entire first team against the Pharaohs of Egypt in the third place match.
Chelle, the source said, would likely give other players on the bench the opportunity to showcase their talents with the match.
The source said: “If you recollect, the match against Uganda in the group stage, which was not a must win, was played largely by players who had not been tested in the first two matches at the group stage.
“It is likely going to be the same against Egypt.
“Countries actually don’t place too much emphasis on third place matches.
“If Nigeria had been in the final, it could have been worth it for Osimhen to hang on and watch his colleagues play.”
The Eagle Online recalls that Calvin Bassey will also miss the third place match against Egypt following two consecutive bookings in the AFCON.
Bassey, who stood his ground against Morocco in the heart of the defence of the Super Eagles, got a second booking against the Atlas Lions. (Eagle Online)
-
Politics18 hours agoOsun: Nigerians have paid APC in advance, balance due in 2027 — PDP
-
World News17 hours agoIran Offers $30,000 For Capturing, killing of US Soldiers
-
Politics21 hours ago‘A reflection of the people’s will’ — Tinubu congratulates Adeleke on re-election as Osun governor
-
News4 hours agoConcession of King’s College: Parents mobilise for protest
-
News5 hours agoLeadership Failure Is A Sin Against God, Humans – Obasanjo
-
News17 hours agoEl-Rufai Accuses ICPC Of Isolating Him From Family, Files N10bn Suit
-
News5 hours agoBandits Invade Sokoto Community, Kill 32
-
Business3 hours agoEFCC transfers $60m recovered from Nestoil to creditor banks
