News
BREAKING: Federal High Court Awards N30Million To Sowore Over Illegal ‘Wanted’ Declaration By Nigeria Police
The Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos, has awarded N30 million in damages to former presidential candidate and human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore, against the Nigeria Police Force over the unlawful declaration of the activist as “wanted” in October 2025.
Delivering judgment on Friday, Justice Musa Kaakaki of the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos, held that the action carried out by CP Moshood Jimoh of the Lagos State Police Command was illegal and a violation of Sowore’s fundamental rights.
Sowore disclosed the development shortly after the court session, describing the ruling as a resounding blow to what he termed persistent police impunity and abuse of power.
“While the illegal IGP Kayode Egbetokun was busy running from courtroom to courtroom, desperately shopping for ex parte orders to cover monumental police illegalities, Justice Musa Kaakaki of the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos delivered a resounding blow this morning to their tyranny,” Sowore said on his social media accounts on Friday.
In his reaction, the activist said the court did not mince words in condemning the actions of CP Moshood Jimoh.
“In a stinging and unequivocal rebuke, the court condemned CP Bozo Moshood Jimoh of the Lagos police command for unlawfully declaring me WANTED last year October and awarded ₦30 million in damages against the Nigeria Police Force,” he stated.
According to Sowore, the judgment sends a clear warning to public officials who abuse their positions of authority.
“The judgment was clear, firm, and excruciatingly loud in its message: abuse of power has consequences,” he added.
The controversial “wanted” declaration had stirred outrage among civil society groups and rights advocates when it was announced in October 2025, with many describing it as politically motivated and a misuse of police powers against a government critic.
Sowore, a long-time activist and former presidential candidate, has had multiple confrontations with security agencies over his activism and public criticisms of government officials.
However, Friday’s ruling marks a significant legal victory in his protracted battles with law enforcement authorities.
He also commended his counsel, Barrister Tope Temokun, for what he described as steadfast legal representation throughout the proceedings.
“Barrister Tope Temokun anchored the case with diligence, courage, and precision. Justice prevailed, at least today,” Sowore said.
On November 14, 2025, SaharaReporters reported the Federal High Court in Lagos State had issued a strong warning to CP Moshood after receiving reports that he continued to boast publicly that Sowore “remains wanted.”
The Lagos CP Moshood made the boasts despite an existing court order restraining such actions.
The warning came during proceedings in the fundamental rights enforcement suit filed by Sowore against the Commissioner of Police and other respondents.
The case, brought under the Fundamental Rights Enforcement Procedure Rules, required the police to file their defence within five days.
However, the police failed to file any response before the deadline elapsed.(SaharaReporters)
-
Celebrity Gist24 hours agoI love Nicki Minaj – Donald Trump
-
World News24 hours agoKing Charles Breaks Silence After Arrest Of Brother, Prince Andrew, Over Misconduct Allegations
-
News24 hours agoJUST IN: Rivers senator, Barinada Mpigi, dies at 64
-
News9 hours agoGunmen Attack Kebbi Communities, Kill 35
-
News23 hours agoNigeria’s W’Bank IDA debt hits $18.7bn
-
Metro24 hours agoNigerian bags 8-year jail term over $1.3m cyber fraud in US
-
Sports24 hours agoEPL: Arteta Urges Arsenal To Channel ‘Pain’ From Wolves Draw Into Tottenham Clash
-
News23 hours agoJUST IN: Many feared dead as terrorists storm homes, shoot indiscriminately in Kebbi communities
