Connect with us

News

Tears as bandits ‘massacre’ over 50 in Zamfara community

Published

on

Brief and outrage have engulfed Dutsin Dan Ajiya village in Anka Local Government Area of Zamfara State after bandits reportedly stormed the community and killed more than 50 residents in a brutal overnight attack.

Survivors recounted how the gunmen blocked escape routes, opened fire indiscriminately and left dozens dead, with many others injured or abducted.

Trending videos showed the victims’ bodies wrapped in white cloth ahead of a mass burial.

A resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the attackers, armed with sophisticated weapons, stormed the village on Thursday night and opened fire indiscriminately.

He added that the assailants blocked all access roads to prevent residents from escaping.

“After blocking all the roads, the bandits started to shoot at sight and the villagers ran helter-skelter,” he said. “After the attack, we realised that 30 people were killed; some were wounded, while several others are at large and nobody knows their whereabouts.”

The raid reportedly lasted until the early hours of Friday, with several residents abducted.

While local sources put the death toll at about 30, Reuters reported that at least 50 people were killed.

A lawmaker representing Bukkuyum South, Hamisu Faru, told Reuters that the attackers operated from around 5 p.m. on Thursday until about 3:30 a.m. on Friday, burning buildings and shooting residents who attempted to flee.

“They have been moving from one village to another … leaving at least 50 people dead,” Faru said.

A 41-year-old resident, Abdullahi Sani, said three members of his family were among those killed.

“No one slept yesterday, we are all in pain,” he said.

Sani added that residents had alerted security forces and local authorities after sighting more than 150 motorcycles carrying the attackers, but no help arrived.

The state police spokesperson, Yazid Abubakar, could not be reached for comment as calls and text messages went unanswered.

The attack occurred just a day after the Zamfara State Government donated Armoured Personnel Carriers and a drone to security agencies to strengthen the fight against banditry.

Christopher Musa, minister of Defence, who received the equipment, had urged troops of the Nigerian Army to take decisive action against bandits and terrorists who refuse to surrender.

Zamfara remains one of several North-West states grappling with persistent banditry despite ongoing military operations.

Earlier in the week, at least 33 residents of Bui District in Arewa LGA of Kebbi State were reportedly killed by Lakurawa terrorists during a cattle-rustling attack.

The group also attacked Maganho community in Tangaza LGA of Sokoto State on February 13, 2026, killing five people and rustling livestock.

In Katsina State, bandits killed 21 residents in Doma town, Faskari LGA, on February 3, shattering a six-month non-aggression pact between the community and the attackers.

Trending