Sport Coronavirus: ‘Angry’ Rooney tests negative but will miss Derby...

Coronavirus: ‘Angry’ Rooney tests negative but will miss Derby games

-

- Advertisment -

 

Coronavirus: ‘Angry’ Rooney tests negative but will miss Derby games

 

 

 

 

Wayne Rooney has revealed he has tested negative for coronavirus but is “angry and disappointed” he now has to self-isolate and miss Derby’s next three matches.

Rooney was at the centre of a coronavirus confusion after being visited by a friend who had been instructed to be tested for Covid-19 and was later found to have the infection.

In the initial report from The Sun it was said the former England captain – now player-coach at Sky Bet Championship side Derby – was “seething” after infected entrepreneur Josh Bardsley visited him on Thursday to give him a watch.

Rooney, who was unaware of any Covid-related concerns connected with Bardsley and played in Derby’s 1-0 home loss to Watford on Friday a day after the visit, has now revealed he has tested negative for the virus.

He tweeted: “Just received the news that my covid-19 test has shown I do not have the virus. Delighted for myself and family but obviously angry and disappointed that I now have to self-isolate and miss vital games for @dcfcofficial.”

Government guidelines say anyone who has been in contact with a person who has tested positive must self-isolate for 14 days.

It means Rooney will miss Derby’s next three matches – including Tuesday’s Championship game at Huddersfield live on Sky Sports Football Red Button – but may return in time for the trip to Bournemouth on October 31.

A Derby spokesperson said: “Derby County is relieved and extremely pleased to learn that Wayne Rooney’s test results for COVID-19 have been returned negative.

“We are, however, extremely disappointed that the selfish and careless act of one individual put both Wayne and his family at risk, as well as having a detrimental impact on Derby County Football Club.

“In line with UK Government and EFL guidelines, Wayne must self-isolate until 29th October and therefore will not be available for the next three matches.

“We are positive that Wayne will be available for selection for the club’s Sky Bet Championship fixture at AFC Bournemouth on 31st October.”

Speaking at a press conference on Monday afternoon, Derby manager Phillip Cocu said no other members of his or Watford’s squad have been put at risk following the match on Friday, and revealed Derby have remained in contact with Watford’s medical team so both clubs can follow the necessary government guidelines.

Cocu also said Derby’s doctor has spoken to the squad to explain how the players should take extra precautions to avoid having to miss games like Rooney – though he was keen to stress that the 34-year-old broke none of the club’s rules and has always strictly followed the coronavirus guidelines. (Sky Sports)

Coronavirus: ‘Angry’ Rooney tests negative but will miss Derby games
Coronavirus: ‘Angry’ Rooney tests negative but will miss Derby games
Parrot Nigeria
An online news aggregator

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Account for N50trn derivation funds – Militants tell Niger Delta governors

              A group of former Niger Delta militants, the Reformed Niger Delta Avengers (RNDA), has asked the region’s governors to...

2023: So far, Buhari’s body language does not suggest Jonathan

•Doubts South South will support him •Fears Igbo may ruin their chance •Speaks on Zamfara gold, hopes for resource control Hon. Julius...

“I’ll Walk With A Limp Forever” – The Undertaker Reveals The Price He Had To Pay For Wrestling in WWE For Three Decades

              The Undertaker retired from Sports Entertainment at the recently concluded Survivor Series. For years, there were rumors about how...

Nigeria demands apology from UK government over MP’s allegation against Gowon

Nigeria has sought apology and retraction from the British government after a parliamentarian accused Yakubu Gowon, Nigeria’s former Head...

South African President, Ramaphosa, to face motion of no confidence

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa will face his first motion of no confidence in the National Assembly next Thursday.House...

We sold heads of Policemen for N1000 – Suspects

Two of the suspects arrested by the Police in Oyo have narrated how they sold the heads of 2...

TRENDING

BREAKING: Court jails rep member for lying

A magistrate court in the federal capital territory (FCT)...

CNN retracts initial report Soldiers killed 38 at Lekki tollgate during #EndSARS protest

            The Cable News Network has retracted its initial report,...
- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you