News FG releases N386m to fight Coronavirus, Provides screening forms...

FG releases N386m to fight Coronavirus, Provides screening forms to airlines

-

- Advertisment -

FG releases N386m to fight Coronavirus, Provides screening forms to airlines

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
THE Federal Government has released N386 million to two health agencies to strengthen Nigeria’s preparedness to combat Coronavirus (COVID19).

The Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH), Mr Abdulaziz Mashi Abdulaziz,  told reporters in Abuja that  the amount was released by the government in two batches.

He said: “While the first batch of N71 million was released at the end of January to facilitate activities of the Port Health Services department of the ministry, the second was released after the Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, said the government had budgeted N620 million to curtail the virus from entering Nigeria when he appeared before the Senate Committee on Health.

“It is true that intervention was sought from the Presidency and the Ministry of Finance and Budget Plannig.

“Because of the level of the emergency, I can confirm to you that N71million was released to the Port Health Services division of the (health) ministry.

“The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), was also given N315 million directly. Other requests are in the pipeline and yet to be released,” he said.

Also speaking, the Minister of State for health, Dr. Olorunnimbe Mamora, said information available to Nigerian government was that the first case of Coronavirus had been reported from Egypt and that the affected person was a foreigner.

Mamora added that the ministry has inaugurated an inter-ministerial committee to provide oversight leadership.

He said the committee was being coordinated by the NCDC and that it met twice a week.

He said: “Nigeria is receiving technical support from the World Health Organisation (WHO), Africa Centre for Disease Control and West African Health Organisation.

Read Also: ‘Nigeria can contain unforeseen outbreak of the coronavirus’

He added that the Port Health Services had intensified screening of passengers coming from China and other countries of high risk.

Screening forms have been provided to all airlines.

“As at now, there is no report of any confirm case in Nigeria. Clinicians are being trained on management of cases at the moment.

“We are developing a stockpile of medical supplies to be used in the event of any outbreak.

“Our capacity for testing has been enhanced because we have three laboratories Edo and Lagos states as well as in Abuja,” he said.

FG releases N386m to fight Coronavirus, Provides screening forms to airlines
Parrot Nigeria
An online news aggregator

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Russia moves to imprison quarantine violators for up to 7 years

Russia’s Lower House of Parliament gave its final approval on Tuesday to legislation to send quarantine violators to prison...

Coronavirus: US reveals reason for evacuation of citizens from Nigeria

The government of the United States of America has made known the reason why it is keen on evacuating...

Lagos Lockdown: Day 1 in pictures

                  Lagos, Africa’s biggest city and business hub of Nigeria has initiated a total lockdown, with the restriction of all...

Former Barcelona goalkeeper in ‘critical period’ with coronavirus

Former Barcelona goalkeeper Rustu Recber is in a ‘critical period’ in hospital after testing positive for coronavirus, his wife...

Coronavirus: First Bank donates N1bn

              First Bank of Nigeria Limited has announced the donation of N1 billion toward the joint effort by the Nigerian...

Masks can cause infection, not coronavirus proof – WHO drops shocker

            The World Health Organisation, WHO has dropped a shocker to people wearing masks as protection against coronavirus.  It said masks...

TRENDING

BREAKING: Nigeria records second death from coronavirus

        Nigeria has recorded yet another death from the cornavirus...

Coronavirus: Prince Charles out of virus self-isolation

The Prince of Wales is now out of self-isolation,...
- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you