Sports
NFF disowns post-match criticism of Super Eagles players
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has disassociated itself from a post-match statement that criticised individual Super Eagles players following the team’s 1-1 draw with South Africa in a 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifier.
The statement, which was issued by the Federation’s Director of Communications, Ademola Olajire, had described forward Cyriel Dessers as “sluggish” and faulted captain William Troost-Ekong for the own goal that handed Bafana Bafana the lead.
However, NFF General Secretary, Mohammed Sanusi, on Wednesday clarified that the remarks did not reflect the official position of the Federation.
“I saw the release just like everyone else did. Nobody in the Federation is happy with it,” Sanusi said. “The NFF did not authorise that statement. We have great respect for all the players. Blaming an individual for a team result is unfair.”
Sanusi stressed that the Federation viewed the South Africa fixture as a collective effort and opposed attempts to scapegoat any player.
“When we win, it’s a team victory. When we lose, it’s also collective. No player should be singled out,” he added.
He further defended Troost-Ekong, describing the criticism directed at him as unjustified, noting that the defender was previously named the Most Valuable Player at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Côte d’Ivoire.
“It was an unfortunate own goal. His intention was to clear the ball. Anyone who knows football understands that such things happen,” Sanusi said.
The General Secretary also expressed confidence in the team’s unity, disclosing that preparations were underway for the remaining World Cup qualifiers and the forthcoming AFCON in Morocco.
“Our house is in order. We’re preparing for the rest of the qualifiers and the AFCON. There’s no problem with our players or coaching crew. The government and the NFF are proud of the players’ efforts,” he said.
Sanusi further revealed that disciplinary measures would be taken internally regarding the unauthorised release.
“I can assure you the NFF will take action on the matter,” he noted.
Nigeria currently sit third in Group C of the CAF World Cup qualifiers with 11 points from eight matches, six points adrift of leaders South Africa. The Super Eagles must now secure victories against Lesotho and Benin Republic while relying on other results to keep their hopes of qualifying for the 2026 FIFA World Cup alive.
-
News23 hours ago5 Dead, 10 Rescued As Building Collapses In Abuja
-
News22 hours agoMothers wail as terrorists abduct over 45 Oyo pupils
-
Politics22 hours agoReps: APC bars 14, Obasa, Buhari’s son win tickets
-
News23 hours ago17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe
-
News22 hours agoTrump Got Billion-Dollar Deals From China, What Did Tinubu’s Trips Achieve? – Obi
-
News22 hours agoPresidency Admits Military’s Error In 2024 Claim Of ISIS Commander’s Death
-
News22 hours agoPolice Gun Down 2 Kidnappers, Arrest Suspected Kingpin In Ogun
-
News22 hours agoTrump’s Claim On ISIS Commander False, Don’t Rely On It – Falana Tells Tinubu
