Politics
PDP Crisis: Fresh Twist As Wike’s Men Go After Judge Who Approved Convention
The crisis rocking the main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) took another dimension on Monday as some members loyal to the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister Nyesom Wike, petitioned the National Judicial Council (NJC) over alleged judicial misconduct by Justice A.L. Akintola of the Oyo State High Court.
The petition was written by Hon. Austine Nwachukwu, Hon. Amah Abraham Nnanna, and Turnah Alabh George, who had earlier taken the Umar Damagum-led National Working Committee (NWC) to court in a bid to stop the convention.
The petition seen by Daily Trust was dated November 5, 2025, and acknowledged by the Office of the Chief Justice of Nigeria on November 6, 2025.
The petitioners accused Justice Akintola of the Oyo High Court of “judicial recklessness, impunity, and flagrant violation of established legal processes.”
Addressing journalists on Monday on the development, Hon. Amah Abraham Nnanna, and his counterpart from Abia, Nwachukwu alleged that Justice Akintola issued an ex parte order on November 4, 2025, authorising the conduct of the PDP National Convention in Ibadan on November 15 and 16, 2025.
They said the order directly contradicted a subsisting judgment of the Federal High Court in Abuja, delivered on October 31, 2025 (Suit No. FHC/ABJ/CS/2120/2025), which had expressly restrained the PDP from holding the convention on those dates.
They argued that Justice Akintola’s action amounted to sitting on appeal over a judgment of a court of coordinate jurisdiction, describing it as a breach of judicial order and a threat to the rule of law.
“This disturbing development not only threatens the integrity of the Nigerian judiciary but also risks setting a dangerous precedent capable of eroding public confidence in the justice system,” Nwachukwu stated.
The PDP chieftains urged the NJC to act swiftly and decisively, warning that failure to address the matter could embolden judicial officers who disregard due process.
According to them, “The NJC must reaffirm its commitment to discipline, impartiality, and the preservation of judicial integrity by ensuring that errant judicial officers are held accountable without delay.”
They also reminded the NJC of how it had acted promptly in similar cases of judicial misconduct in Rivers, Imo, and other states, urging it to maintain the same standard and act swiftly.
“The Nigerian judiciary must remain the last hope of the common man and not a tool in the hands of those seeking to subvert justice for political expediency. The NJC’s prompt and transparent action on this petition will go a long way in restoring faith in the judiciary and reinforcing the principle that no one, no matter how highly placed, is above the law,” Nwachukwu said.(Daily trust)
-
Business19 hours agoCustomers stranded as new airtime rule disrupts bank transfers
-
Politics19 hours agoADC accuses ICPC of blocking leaders from seeing El-Rufai
-
News19 hours agoOyo schools kidnap: Terrorists open talks, give condition
-
World News19 hours agoUS directs green card applicants to apply from home countries
-
Sports19 hours agoOsimhen not for sale — Gala president
-
Politics18 hours agoI Remain In High Spirits, Will Complete Ongoing Projects In Rivers – Fubara
-
Politics19 hours agoResignation gamble backfires for ex-ministers Adelabu, Tuggar, Alkali
-
News18 hours agoNgoshe: 2 Months After, Families Await Rescue Of Abductees
