Sports
Senegal to parade AFCON trophy amid legal battle
Senegal plan to parade the Africa Cup of Nations trophy before their game against Peru in Paris on Saturday, with the head of the country’s Football Federation vowing a “crusade” against the decision to strip the team of the title.
The Lions of Teranga claimed their second Afcon title on 18 January when they beat hosts Morocco 1-0 after extra time in a final which ended in chaotic scenes when the Senegal players walked off the pitch after their opponents were awarded a stoppage-time penalty with the match goalless.
But last week the Confederation of African Football overturned that result, awarding Morocco a 3-0 victory.
On Tuesday, the Court of Arbitration for Sport confirmed receipt of Senegal’s appeal against that decision, promising to rule “as swiftly as possible”.
“Faced with what amounts to the most blatant and unprecedented administrative robbery in the history of our sport, the Senegalese Football Federation (FSF) refuses to accept this as inevitable,” FSF president Abdoulaye Fall said at a media conference in the French capital.
Shortly before making his comments, FSF social media posted a timetable for events around Saturday’s friendly at the Stade de France which included a trophy parade.
“Senegal will not bend the knee and will not compromise its values,” added Fall. “Our fight now transcends the football pitch.”
Following the controversial final in Rabat – in which Morocco and Real Madrid forward Brahim Diaz missed a Panenka penalty to win the match in the 114th minute – the Royal Moroccan Football Federation immediately lodged a complaint with Caf and Fifa, claiming that Senegal leaving the field of play “greatly affected the normal course of the match and the players’ morale”.
CAF’s disciplinary committee initially rejected that appeal, instead issuing sanctions against both sides, including a five-match ban for Senegal head coach Pape Thiaw, on 29 January.
The FRMF said those original penalties did not “reflect the seriousness of the incidents”, and Caf’s appeal board agreed, releasing a statement on 17 March which said Senegal had contravened articles 82 and 84 of competition regulations.
Article 82 states that if a team “leaves the ground before the regular end of the match without the authorisation of the referee”, they are eliminated.
-
Politics22 hours agoOsun poll raises 2027 questions as APC reviews defeat, observers flag flaws
-
News23 hours agoInsecurity: 31 states spend N252bn on security in six months
-
Business23 hours agoNigerian tycoon Wale Tinubu is drilling 62 wells to more than double Oando’s output
-
Sports23 hours agoMan United to battle Arsenal for Osimhen
-
News23 hours agoTroops foil abduction attempt, rescue nine in Zamfara
-
Sports23 hours agoNFF Sacks Madugu, Falcons Coaching Crew After World Cup Miss
-
Business23 hours agoConcerns as cost-of-living pressure lingers despite easing inflation
-
Business15 hours agoBREAKING: FCCPC says industry report suggests possible manipulation of cement prices
