Connect with us

News

Terrorists have no operational base in South West – DHQ

Published

on

Chief of Defence Staff, General Olufemi Oluyede. Photo credit: DHQ

The Defence Headquarters has said terrorist groups have not established permanent operational bases in Nigeria’s South-West, insisting that recent attacks in Oyo State were isolated criminal incidents.

The clarification came after reports alleged the presence of entrenched terrorist bases in the South-West, particularly in the wake of the Oyo incident.

On May 15, 2026, a total of 32 victims, consisting of 25 students and seven teachers, were kidnapped after terrorists attacked three schools in the Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

Reacting in a statement on Tuesday, the Director, Defence Media Operation, Maj. Gen. Michael Onoja said the attack did not reflect the existence of any permanent terrorist structure in the region.

He added that earlier clearance operations in the Old Oyo National Park had significantly degraded the capacity of criminal elements operating within that axis.

He said, “The Armed Forces of Nigeria wishes to categorically address recent media reports and public speculation suggesting that terrorist elements have established a permanent operational base within the South West geo-political zone of Nigeria, particularly following the attack in Oyo State.

“It is pertinent to state that the incident was an isolated criminal act and does not reflect the existence of any entrenched terrorist structure in the region, as the Armed Forces had earlier conducted a comprehensive clearance operation of the Old Oyo National Park, effectively neutralising the operational capacity of criminal elements within that operational capacity of criminal elements within that corridor.

“Current intelligence assessments do not support the conclusion that any structured or permanent terrorist base exists within the forests or hinterlands of the South West region.

“Criminal elements, however audacious their recent activities, do not constitute an established insurgent presence, and the Defence Headquarters cautions against narratives that may cause unnecessary public panic or embolden adversaries by overstating their capabilities.”

He said the Chief of Defence Staff, General Olufemi Oluyede, expressed deep condolences over the abduction of pupils from the schools.

He assured the affected families, the government and people of Oyo State that the Armed Forces were fully committed to securing the safe and unconditional release of all abducted victims.

“The full weight of the Armed Forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe and unconditional return of every abducted victim,” he said, urging Nigerians to remain calm, united and supportive of ongoing security operations.

He said the military further disclosed that troops are currently engaged in active search-and-rescue operations across forested areas in Oyo State.

“The Armed Forces is equally engaging the local populace for human intelligence, recognising that community cooperation remains an invaluable asset in the effort to recover the abducted victims safely and swiftly.

“The joint effort with all security agencies and local vigilantes will ensure that the forest is thoroughly cleared of criminal elements and that lasting peace is restored to the region. The Armed Forces of Nigeria will not relent until every abducted victim is safely recovered, the criminal networks responsible are dismantled, and normalcy is fully restored across the South West and indeed all of Nigeria, ” he said. (Punch)

Trending