Connect with us

News

Troops tracking Oyo kidnappers after direct contact – DHQ

Published

on

The Defence Headquarters on Tuesday said troops currently engaged in search-and-rescue operations have made contact with the abductors of the pupils and teachers.

It also debunked the rumours that terrorist groups have established permanent operational bases in the South-West, insisting that recent attacks in Oyo State were isolated criminal incidents.

This comes amid ongoing military operations following the abduction of pupils and staff from Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Ahoro-Esinele; and L.A. Primary School in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

In a statement on Tuesday, the Director, Defence Media Relations, Maj Gen Michael Onoja, said the military was deploying “the full weight” of its operational capacity to rescue the victims.

“Troops made contact with the criminal elements two days ago, have since reorganised, and are continuing the search and pursuit operations with full determination.

“Working in close coordination with relevant security agencies, the Armed Forces is conducting intensive joint operations across forest corridors and ungoverned spaces in the zone. “

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to assure all Nigerians, particularly residents of the South West, that its own troops are currently deployed and actively operating within the forest in pursuit of the perpetrators and in search of the abducted victims.

“Working in close coordination with relevant security agencies, the Armed Forces is conducting intensive joint operations across forest corridors and ungoverned spaces in the zone,” he said.

He added that the residents of the area were being relied on for human intelligence as part of efforts to rescue the victims.

Onoja said, “The Armed Forces is equally engaging the local populace for human intelligence, recognising that community cooperation remains an invaluable asset in the effort to recover the abducted victims safely and swiftly.

“The joint effort with all security agencies and local vigilantes will ensure that the forest is thoroughly cleared of criminal elements and that lasting peace is restored to the region.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will not relent until every abducted victim is safely recovered, the criminal networks responsible are dismantled, and normalcy is fully restored across the South West and indeed all of Nigeria.”

He said the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen Olufemi Oluyede, expressed condolences to the families of the victims, the government and people of Oyo State, and assured that efforts were underway to secure the safe return of all abducted persons.

The statement said, “The Chief of Defence Staff, General Olufemi Olatunbosun Oluyede, on behalf of the Armed Forces of Nigeria extends his deepest sympathies to the families of the victims, the government and people of Oyo State, and the entire nation over the deeply painful and unconscionable attack on Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Ahoro-Esinele; and L.A. Primary School, all in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

“General Oluyede describes the abduction of innocent children and staff as a callous and reprehensible act that strikes at the heart of every Nigerian, and assures grieving families that the full weight of the Armed Forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe and unconditional return of every abducted victim.

“The Chief of Defence Staff further calls on all Nigerians to remain calm, united, and cooperate with security forces during this critical period of operations.”

Reacting to reports alleging the existence of a terrorist base in the region, Onoja said the attack was an isolated criminal incident and did not indicate any entrenched terrorist structure in the South West.

He noted that troops had previously conducted clearance operations in the Old Oyo National Park, which significantly reduced the operational capacity of criminal elements in the area.

Onoja said, “The Armed Forces of Nigeria wishes to categorically address recent media reports and public speculation suggesting that terrorist elements have established a permanent operational base within the South West geo-political zone of Nigeria, particularly following the attack in Oyo State.

“It is pertinent to state that the incident was an isolated criminal act and does not reflect the existence of any entrenched terrorist structure in the region, as the Armed Forces had earlier conducted a comprehensive clearance operation of the Old Oyo National Park, effectively neutralising the operational capacity of criminal elements within that corridor.

“Current intelligence assessments do not support the conclusion that any structured or permanent terrorist base exists within the forests or hinterlands of the South West region.”

He further disclosed that troops were combing forest areas in pursuit of the abductors and the kidnapped victims.

Onoja said, “Criminal elements, however audacious their recent activities, do not constitute an established insurgent presence, and the Defence Headquarters cautions against narratives that may cause unnecessary public panic or embolden adversaries by overstating their capabilities.” (Punch)

Trending