News
Over 100 Days in Captivity: Ndume demands rescue of Borno abduction victims
Senator representing Borno South, Mohammed Ndume, has urged the military to intensify operations to secure the release of schoolchildren and other residents abducted from communities in the southern part of Borno State.
Ndume made the appeal during a visit on Wednesday to the headquarters of the Theatre Command, North-East Joint Task Force, Operation Hadin Kai, in Maiduguri.
The senator said the prolonged captivity of the victims had heightened anxiety among their families and communities, with some of them now spending more than 100 days in the hands of their abductors.
His appeal covers schoolchildren kidnapped from Mussa and Lassa in Askira Uba Local Government Area, passengers abducted along the Buratai axis, as well as victims still being held after the attack on Ngoshe in Gwoza Local Government Area.
While commending the military for its sustained campaign against insurgency in the North-East, Ndume said the prolonged absence of the victims from their homes made it necessary for him to press for stronger action.
He said, “Most importantly, General, I know you are putting in your best efforts towards the rescue of our children in Mussa and Lassa, the passengers abducted along the Buratai axis and the remaining victims from Ngoshe.
“We know you are making efforts, but because of the anxiety we all share and the length of time these people have remained away from their families, I have to continue to push for greater effort.”
According to the senator, the call should not be viewed as a condemnation of the military or a dismissal of the sacrifices being made by troops fighting insurgency.
Rather, he said, it was his duty as a representative of the people to continue to draw attention to the plight of his constituents and demand action on their behalf.
“Like Oliver Twist, I have come to ask for more for my people. It is my moral obligation to commend you when you do well and also bring the concerns of my constituents before you,” he said.
Ndume also praised the level of coordination among the military and other security agencies, describing the synergy as an important factor in the progress being made against insurgents in the region.
Responding, the Theatre Commander, Major General Abubakar Abdulsalam, thanked the senator for the visit and said the concerns he raised regarding the abducted victims had been noted.
Abdulsalam reaffirmed the commitment of the Nigerian Army and other security agencies to ongoing operations aimed at protecting communities, restoring stability and facilitating the return of people displaced by years of insurgency.
He attributed the gains recorded in the theatre to the support provided by the Chief of Army Staff, whom he said had a strong understanding of the security and operational challenges confronting the North-East.
-
Business13 hours agoAfreximbank now largest financier of Africa’s oil, gas sector, says Wale Tinubu
-
News14 hours agoBREAKING: Davido was target of Osun convoy attack – Police
-
News14 hours agoTinubu Asks Homeland Security Adviser To Coordinate 5-Year Defence Plan
-
News13 hours agoFG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide in Nigeria
-
News15 hours agoTinubu Appoints Abel Enitan As Head Of Service
-
Politics20 hours agoIf FG Wanted Osun, Nothing Could Have Stopped It – Fayose
-
News20 hours agoLagos, Ogun declare Thursday public holiday to celebrate Isese festival
-
World News16 hours agoUK asylum seekers can stay with friends, family — Home Office
