News
Gunmen Attack Kebbi Communities, Kill 35
Lakurawa terrorists on Wednesday attacked eight communities in Arewa Local Government Area of Kebbi State, killing 35 people during coordinated raids on the villages.
The communities affected by the attacks include Masama, Mamunu, Kamzo, Awashaka, Tungar Bature, Dan Mai Rago, Tungar Tsoho and Gorin Dena, all located within the local government area.
A resident of one of the affected villages told AFP that at least 35 people lost their lives in the attacks.
“We were in our homes when we heard gunshots. People outside began running into their shelters, but some were hit by bullets,” said the resident of Kanzo.
Another local, Aminu Garba, told Daily Trust that the communities have been left devastated by the Wednesday assault, with many families fleeing for fear of further attacks.
“Many people have run out of the communities where the Lakurawa carried out the attack on Wednesday. We are afraid because we know what they are capable of doing next.
“We never expected this terrible attack. I am sure nobody expected they would strike these communities in such a heartless manner,” he said.
Garba added that although security personnel have been deployed to the area, those who fled are yet to return due to lingering fear following the incident.
Also speaking, a farmer in the area, Umar Mai Gaskiya, said the attackers shot indiscriminately when they invaded his community.
“I was lucky to escape. It was a morning attack. I heard repeated gunshots from different directions. I immediately realised we were under attack and ran into the bush. I was fortunate that none of my family members was in the village when the incident occurred,” he said.
‘Why Lakurawa raided Kebbi villages’
A security expert, Usman Aliyu, described the killings as an attempt by the Lakurawa to demonstrate that they are still active in the state.
“I believe the state government has been effectively engaging security operatives, particularly the army, to flush out the terrorist group in both Kebbi South and Kebbi North in recent times.
“Not much has been heard about the bandits and Lakurawa since joint security operatives neutralised many of them in parts of the troubled areas of the state last year. It appears the government is gaining ground in the fight against them.
“I think the Lakurawa know they are being subdued. Don’t forget that joint security forces operating in Kebbi killed over 80 bandits last year and dozens of Lakurawa fighters while they were attempting to cross into the state from Zamfara and Sokoto states.
“The recent attack is likely intended to signal that they are still around,” he said.
Police authorities have confirmed the attacks, stating that members of the Lakurawa group struck villages in the Bui area of Arewa Local Government Area at about 1:15 p.m. on Wednesday.
The Police Public Relations Officer in Kebbi State, Bashir Usman, said: “Scores of people were killed as residents from Mamunu, Awasaka, Tungan Tsoho, Makangara, Kanzo, Gorun Naidal and Dan Mai Ago mobilised to resist the attackers.”
He added that the assailants also rustled cattle during the raids.
He said police officers, soldiers and local vigilante groups were immediately deployed to the affected communities to restore calm and prevent further violence.
Previous attacks
This is not the first time the Lakurawa group has carried out attacks of such magnitude in Arewa Local Government Area. Last year, the group launched a night assault and set 15 communities in the area ablaze.
More than 26 people were reported killed in that incident.
Prior to that, 15 members of a local vigilante group were ambushed and killed while attempting to defend their communities and livestock from being rustled by the Lakurawa.
Following Wednesday’s attacks, Governor Nasir Idris convened an emergency security meeting with heads of security agencies at the Government House in Birnin Kebbi.
The meeting was believed to be connected to the renewed violence in Arewa Local Government Area.
However, neither the governor nor any of the security chiefs briefed the press on the outcome of the deliberations.
The latest assault came just days after the state hosted the UNESCO-listed Argungu Fishing Festival, held about 60 kilometres (38 miles) from Arewa LGA, where the attacks occurred.
The Lakurawa group has been blamed for numerous attacks on communities in the northern part of Kebbi State and neighbouring Sokoto State.
Its members are known to stage raids from forest hideouts, rustling livestock and imposing illegal “taxes” on local residents.
Nigeria’s government previously stated that Christmas Day airstrikes by the US military in Sokoto targeted members of the group and other bandit gangs.
Some researchers have linked the Lakurawa to the Islamic State Sahel Province, which operates mainly in neighbouring Niger and Mali, although others remain sceptical of the connection.
The activities of the group have further worsened Nigeria’s security challenges. The country continues to grapple with a more than 16-year insurgency in the North-East, as well as persistent farmer-herder conflicts in the North-Central region and banditry in the North-West.
Amid a resurgence of violence that has strained relations between Nigeria and the United States, the federal government is seeking technical and training support from the United States for its troops engaged in counterterrorism operations.
The US Africa Command disclosed that about 200 troops are expected to be involved in the broader deployment.(Daily trust)
-
Celebrity Gist20 hours agoI love Nicki Minaj – Donald Trump
-
World News20 hours agoKing Charles Breaks Silence After Arrest Of Brother, Prince Andrew, Over Misconduct Allegations
-
News20 hours agoJUST IN: Rivers senator, Barinada Mpigi, dies at 64
-
Metro20 hours agoNigerian bags 8-year jail term over $1.3m cyber fraud in US
-
News19 hours agoNigeria’s W’Bank IDA debt hits $18.7bn
-
News19 hours agoJUST IN: Many feared dead as terrorists storm homes, shoot indiscriminately in Kebbi communities
-
News23 hours agoOndo Monarch Gunned Down Outside Palace
-
Sports20 hours agoEPL: Arteta Urges Arsenal To Channel ‘Pain’ From Wolves Draw Into Tottenham Clash
