News
Ndume Blames FG, Senate For Trump’s Designation Of Nigeria As ‘Country Of Particular Concern’
Former Chief Whip and current Senator representing Borno South, Ali Ndume, has blamed the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu administration and the Senate for the tagging of Nigeria by the United States President, Donald Trump, as ‘Country of Particular Concern’.
Ndume, in a statement on Saturday in Abuja, accused both the executive and legislative arms of complacency, saying their failure to proactively engage the United States government on the alleged persecution of Christians in Nigeria led to the development.
The senator recalled that he had earlier sponsored a motion in the Senate on “Christian genocide” in the country. The motion, he said, led to resolutions mandating the Nigerian government to engage the U.S. with verified facts and figures.
Daily Trust reports that President Trump, on Friday, announced the designation of Nigeria as a ‘Country of Particular Concern’ over alleged persecution of Christians.
Trump made the announcement via a post on his Truth Social platform, which was also shared on the official White House X handle.
“Thousands of Christians are being killed. Radical Islamists are responsible for this mass slaughter,” President Trump wrote.
But the Nigerian government swiftly rejected the claims, insisting that Trump’s assessment did not reflect the true situation in the country.
However, Senator Ndume accused the Tinubu administration and the Senate of treating the allegation raised by US lawmaker, Riley Moore, with complacency, prior to Trump’s declaration, and urged the federal government to take urgent steps to engage the US government with facts and figures on the activities of terrorists organisation which he noted were blind to faith.
“I have alerted the government, I even moved a motion. Nigeria is a sovereign state, it isn’t about what the United States can do to us, but about the misconception and the ripple effects of classifying us as a country of concern.
“We should engage the American government by presenting facts and figures. By engaging the US government, we should demand that they hear the other side of the story from the Nigerian government and the Muslim community. Muslims have been killed too. The genocide isn’t against Christians but Nigerians generally,” he said.(Daily trust)
-
News16 hours agoInsecurity: 31 states spend N252bn on security in six months
-
Politics24 hours agoUK commends Osun election, urges Nigeria to apply lessons to 2027 poll
-
Politics16 hours agoOsun poll raises 2027 questions as APC reviews defeat, observers flag flaws
-
Politics23 hours agoANALYSIS: How Large Voter Turnout Diluted Vote Buying In Osun
-
Business16 hours agoNigerian tycoon Wale Tinubu is drilling 62 wells to more than double Oando’s output
-
Metro23 hours ago2 Suspected Kidnappers Arrested While Chasing Victim In Benue
-
News24 hours ago983 law students fail 2026 bar final resit exam as failure rate hits 50.3%
-
Sports16 hours agoNFF Sacks Madugu, Falcons Coaching Crew After World Cup Miss
