News
Insecurity: Army dismisses viral video on planned forceful recruitment of youths
The Nigerian Army has dismissed as false a viral online publication alleging plans to forcefully recruit Nigerians aged 18 and above into military service.
This is contained in a statement by the Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Lt.-Col. Appolonia Anele, on Friday in Abuja.
Anele described the claim, falsely credited to the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Waidi Shaibu, as a “malicious fabrication” deliberately crafted to mislead the public and incite fear.”
She said the viral post had alleged that the COAS threatened compulsory conscription for youths who fail to voluntarily enlist, and further claimed that 10,000 soldiers recruited last year had gone missing.
The army spokesperson said the allegations were entirely unfounded, adding that the COAS never made such remarks at any time or in any forum.
She warned individuals and groups circulating false and inciting information to desist, saying those found culpable would be tracked, apprehended and prosecuted in accordance with the law.
Anele urged the public to disregard the rumour and rely only on verified official communication channels and social media accounts for credible information.
-
Politics19 hours agoAtiku unveils new Subsidy Model
-
Business21 hours agoTony Elumelu’s $500 million Seplat stake now worth over $1 billion
-
Politics19 hours agoEx-Imo Governor Okorocha Drags INEC To Court Over Governor Uzodimma’s 2027 Senatorial Ambition
-
News18 hours agoState Police: Working group on track with 7-week timeline – Gbajabiamila
-
World News18 hours ago‘I will be fired’ – Academic who accused Jason Arday of plagiarism suspended by university
-
World News19 hours agoForty-five Reapers lost as Iran’s defenses expose a costly weakness
-
Politics19 hours agoInsecurity: What I’ll Do In My First 100 Days If Elected President – Atiku
-
Sports18 hours agoYamal ‘Very Good Player’, But I Won’t Sign Him – Mourinho
