Deborah Samuel’s murder: Atiku Abubakar replies critics
Abubakar Atiku has confirmed he ordered his social media handers to delete the posts about the murder of Deborah Samuel by fanatics in Sokoto.
Atiku, one of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential aspirants, confirmed this on Friday when he paid a consultative visit to Gov. Godwin Obaseki of Edo at the Government House, Benin.
Atiku had earlier taken to social media to condemn the killing of Miss Deborah Samuel who was accused of blasphemy.
However, the social media posts were later deleted, generating a lot of criticism.
Responding to critics, Atiku said: “Every tweet has to get my expressed approval but this one didn’t so I asked them to take it down.
“I took a stand about Sharia law and was abused, thrown stones at, but how long did it last? Despite that, I didn’t change my position on that. I am not afraid to take a stand on critical issues,“ he said.
Speaking further at the event, Atiku said investment in education is key.
“If you can recall what the PDP government did then while in power, we created the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFUND).
“We also set up the Primary School Education Fund and Education Tax Fund to enable us (PDP Federal Government) provide sufficient money to both state and local governments to enable them to have sufficient money to invest in primary and secondary education.
“We also passed the law to make education compulsory for every Nigerian child, from primary to secondary schools”, he said.
Responding to the issue of zoning for the PDP presidential ticket, Atiku said that zoning was not jettisoned by the party.
On the issue of getting a running mate, he said that he would sit down with the party to agree on a running mate for the 2023 presidential election.