Fidelity Advert

Purported tenure elongation for Buhari: DSS breaks silence

Purported tenure elongation for Buhari: DSS breaks silence

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Department of State Services (DSS) has rubbished claim that it called for tenure elongation for President Muhammadu Buhari.

An online platform had had published that the Service was accused of informing participants at its April 6th brainstorming session with CSOs/NGOs that the 2023 general elections might not hold due to insecurity.

The report further stated that the session was a ruse to sell tenure elongation to the public.

But the DSS, in a statement issued by Peter Afunanya, Public Relations Officer, DSS on Thursday said its attention had been drawn to a misleading and mischievous publication by the online platform.

“Consequently, the DSS disassociates itself from the publication and categorically states that the information is false and obviously fabricated to malign it and mislead the populace,” it said.

The DSS said it is curious that the session which was applauded and described as innovative by participants including credible Civil Society groups would be misrepresented by the online platform that was neither invited to nor participated in the exercise.

“The Online paper, in its characteristic gutter journalism, had initially claimed that participants at the session were harassed. When the fake news did not garner the expected attention, it resorted to another gimmick aimed at dragging the Service into an unnecessary term elongation debate.

“However, the statement by the Presidency reiterating its definite stance to hand over power to a new president on 29th May 2023, has vindicated the Service and countered the deliberate effort by the online paper to create confusion.

“While the Service, in the circumstance, aligns with the Presidency, it urges the public to disregard the lies of the story and its promoter whose activities are usually antithetical to a decorous environment,” it added.

The DSS said it was common knowledge that the online platform is mischievously desperate and took delight in promoting negative narratives against Government and its officials.

“The paper has not only remained biased and sensational in its reportage, it has sustained seditious attacks against security institutions and particularly the Service which may not hesitate to seek legal redress in the face of continued misrepresentation

“Meanwhile, politicians and highly placed personalities are advised to desist from making unguarded statements capable of derailing efforts to deepen the country’s democracy as well as mobilise citizens for national unity and stability,” it added.

League of boys banner

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Business