Connect with us

News

LG Vice Chairman Abducted In Ekiti

Published

on

The Vice Chairman of Ilejemeje Local Government Area of Ekiti State, Grace Ogunleye, has reportedly been abducted by gunmen.

Sources said Ogunleye was kidnapped along the Ipere–Iludun Ekiti road while returning from official duties on Wednesday.

Her vehicle was later found abandoned by the roadside, while her whereabouts remain unknown.

Efforts to reach her on her mobile phone were unsuccessful, as the line had been switched off.

It was gathered that the council vice chairman had earlier visited the Ilejemeje Local Government secretariat before heading to Ido Ekiti when the incident occurred.

Confirming the development in a statement, Director of Information and Civic Orientation for Ilejemeje local government, Falade Sunday, said security agencies had been alerted, and efforts were ongoing to rescue her.

Spokesman of the Ekiti State Police Command, Sunday Abutu, told journalists he would provide details later.

Court sentences 2 to 25 years for kidnapping

Meanwhile, an Ekiti State High Court in Ado Ekiti has sentenced two men to 25 years imprisonment each for kidnapping.

The convicts, Ibrahim Abubakar (44) and Abdullahi Abubakar (41), were arraigned alongside Usman Abubakar (49) and Abdulazeez Alebiosu (59), who died during the pendency of the case, on a three-count charge bordering on conspiracy, murder and kidnapping.

They were arraigned before Justice Lekan Ogunmoye on October 4, 2022, over offences allegedly committed between March and April 2022 at Off Federal Polytechnic Road, Ado Ekiti.

The prosecution said the defendants conspired to murder one Taiwo Adesina on March 9, 2022, and later kidnapped Omoboade Adesina on April 22, 2022, contrary to Sections 244, 234 and 279(1)(a) of the Criminal Laws of Ekiti State, 2021.

During the trial, the victim, who testified in court, said her husband, Taiwo Adesina, was attacked on his farm by gunmen. He was shot in the head while trying to escape and was rushed to Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital, Ado Ekiti, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

She further told the court that the kidnappers used her phone to demand a ransom of N10 million, but the family was only able to pay N3.25 million.

The prosecution, led by Kunle-Shina Adeyemo, called seven witnesses and tendered the defendants’ statements and MTN call logs as evidence. The defendants testified through their counsel but called no witnesses.

In his judgment, Justice Ogunmoye discharged and acquitted Usman Abubakar, noting that the victim did not implicate him in her testimony.

The judge found Ibrahim Abubakar and Abdullahi Abubakar guilty of kidnapping and sentenced each to 25 years imprisonment. (Daily trust)

Trending