News
Oyo suspends excursions, inter-school activities, others over insecurity
Oyo State Government has suspended all school excursions, field trips, sports competitions and other activities outside school premises in the state.
PUNCH Online reports that the directive comes after last week’s deadly coordinated abduction attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area – where several students, teachers who were abducted still remain captive.
The directive, issued by the state Ministry of Education, takes immediate effect and overrides all previously approved trips and external school activities.
In a circular dated May 22, 2026 and signed by the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Mrs B.T. Oyinloye, and addressed to education authorities across the state, the government said the move was prompted by rising security fears after the Ogbomoso kidnapping incident.
According to the circular, the directive became necessary “in view of the recent security concerns”.
The circular stated: “In view of the recent security concerns, the Ministry is taking steps to safeguard the lives of students and members of staff in all schools in Oyo State.
“All School Administrators are hereby directed to suspend all excursions, field trips, sports competitions and any other activities that require moving students outside school premises until further notice.
“Kindly note further that prior approvals granted by the Ministry are hereby overridden by this directive.
“Meanwhile, the safety of our children is non-negotiable and takes precedence over all academic and extracurricular activities.
“School Administrators are equally enjoined to keep students within school premises during school hours and should report any suspicious activity around school premises to Law Enforcement Agencies within their jurisdiction.
“This directive takes immediate effect and will be reviewed as soon as the security situation improves. Kindly ensure strict and necessary compliance with the content of this circular.”
The order was circulated to the Executive Chairmen of TESCOM and SUBEB, Permanent Secretaries/IGES, Tutor-Generals, Zonal Directors, Local Inspectors of Education, principals and head teachers across the state.
The government’s action comes amid growing anxiety among parents and residents over the safety of students and teachers in schools across Oyo State following the deadly abduction attack in Ogbomoso.(punch)
-
Politics11 hours ago2027: Court Opens Door For Defections
-
Business10 hours agoThe faulty economics facing Tinubu’s $500m airbus maintenance facility
-
Politics11 hours agoGwamna, Chinda Win, Sharafadeen Alli Leads In Oyo, As APC Postpones Primaries In 3 States
-
Politics11 hours agoKwara PDP Spokesman Sent To Prison Over Alleged Defamation Of Gov
-
News10 hours agoTinubu commends NDLEA for dismantling Nigerian-Mexican drug cartel in Ogun forest
-
Metro9 hours agoLagos billionaire in menstrual pad scandal; girlfriend flees abroad
-
News10 hours agoAnyaoku-led Patriots decry worsening insecurity, ask Tinubu to act decisively
-
Metro10 hours agoLekki, Lagos Island account for over 27% of criminal cases in Lagos, says Govt
